Diversity is welcome online campaing
The “Diversity is Welcome” online campaign was launched on 15 June 2018 as a part of the YOU ARE WELCOME project.
A high majority of the Slovak population acknowledge their negative attitudes towards not only refugees but all minorities and migrants in general, which gives Slovakia the unpleasant ‘stamp’ as one of the most racist and xenophobic countries in Europe. On top of that, Slovakia is considered one of the least welcoming countries in Europe towards foreigners in general (together with Macedonia). Results of the survey within the project were not so bad, particularly due to the fact that it was filled out by many young people who already participated in YEs/TCs and whom we see potential in. Therefore we decided to start with a campaign where people were asked to share their picture with a friend from another country and write a one-sentence message about their friendships in general or just to share some quotes (some examples below) where they tried to show that they think that diversity is actually amazing (we chose slow steps, we cannot promote “Refugees are Welcome“).
So the main message was “Diversity is Welcome.” As motivation to get involved – one person won the possibility to participate in a in a future Youth Exchange for free and one person won a 30€ voucher for books. We also gave the possibility to send us ideas about how would young people themselves suggest to tackle this spread of xenophobia around Slovakia. The best ideas and approaches were going to be developed with our help, either through the organisation of some events or future projects, but unfortunately we did not receive any answers for this.
The campaign was disseminated on our social media channels and on the website of our organisation.
Doing so, we reached almost 4,000 people. Our target group were young Slovaks between 17 and 35 years of age. They shared quotes like:
- “No one is born hating another person because of the color of their skin, their background, or their religion.”
- “Diversity may be the hardest thing for a society to live with and perhaps the most dangerous thing for a society to be without.”
- “Regardless of our differences, we are all the same.”
- “The beauty of the world lies in the diversity of its people.”
- “We are all different, which is great because we are all unique. Without diversity, life would be boring.”
- “We may have different religions, different languages, different skin colours, but we all belong to one human race. We all share the same basic values.”
- “It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate these differences.”